Mountian School enrollment is limited to 12-14 students to keep a personal atmosphere where students and teachers get to know each other well. Advance reservations are strongly encouraged.
Tuition: Tuition as of June 1st, 2020: 1,900 Quetzales (one-week tuition plus homestay room and board: 500 Quetzales go directly to students’ local homestay family)
Note: The tuition payment is in Quetzales. We accept tuition payments in local currency (Quetzales) via cash and VISA or Mastercard credit/debit (only payable at the PLQ office in Xela). For family services, the school must be paid Q500 in Quetzales in cash.
It is very helpful for the operation of the Mountain School if students can pay the full amount of Q1900 in cash (quetzales). If this is not possible, students can pay via credit card payment in the PLQ office in Quetzaltenango prior to their arrival at the Mountain School. Visa and Mastercard are accepted. In any case, students must pay Q500 in cash at the Mountain School for their meals and other services the families provide. This is to ensure that families are directly paid and in full for the service they provide.
Be sure to bring your receipt with you to the Mountain School. Credit card payments will be deducted in Quetzales. Please contact your bank or credit card company to let them know you will be traveling abroad. Note: banks may charge international transaction fees; consult with your bank to understand their international transaction policies.
PLQ office hours in Quetzaltenango (Xela): Monday – Friday, 8 am – 1 pm, 2 – 7 pm; Sunday 2 – 6 pm. Office is CLOSED Saturdays.
The School Day
Your tuition includes four hours a day of intensive, one-on-one Spanish study Monday through Friday; the use of books and study materials; three meals a day with a neighboring family seven days a week; and daily activities such as conferences, nature walks, and visits to nearby communities. Some optional activities may include additional costs for transportation or entrance fees.
Additionally, students have use of the school kitchen and are provided with fruit (at breaktimes), tea, coffee, and drinking water.
To enroll, please complete our online enrollment form.
You will be contacted within 3-5 business days of receiving your application. We recommend that you submit the application well in advance to register for classes during the summer months of June, July, and August.
Please read carefully the following information regarding registration fees and conditions.
REGISTRATION FEES AND CONDITIONS – North America
1. The North America office will reply to your registration form to tell you whether there is space at PLQ/the Mountain School during your desired dates. If there is, you will be asked to submit a $75 payment to secure your space.
2. If you are a new student, that $75 payment will be a non-refundable registration fee. If you are a returning student, that $75 payment will be a tuition deposit that will go toward your first week of study and is refundable as long as your reservation is canceled more than 2 weeks before you are scheduled to start studying.
REGISTRATION FEES AND CONDITIONS – Europe
1. The registration fee for the European Office is Danish kroner 300 for one or two weeks and Danish kroner 450 for three or more weeks.
2. Similarly, a payment of 450 Danish kroner (the equivalent of $US 75.00) is required to go towards the first week’s tuition (see 1 above).
3. The process for confirming the reservation is the same as the process for North America.